Tuesday, January 18, 2011

WHERE SHOULD I LIVE?

My wife has just passed away.  My daughter wants me to come live with her. What should I do?

You pose a very interesting question . If you are well and able to take care of yourself, try to keep your independence and live on your own. Visit often and stay in contact with the grandchildren. It is very interesting that you said it was your daughter who posed the question. Daughters are very concerned about fathers.  And I think the main reason is that they feel that men, in general, and you in particular, have always had their needs looked after by a women, their mother and she feels that anyone but a female member of the family will do a proper job. Also they do not want you to fall prey to those nasty widows, called the “Brisket Brigade” who would dearly like to attach themselves to you.

However, if you are in any way incapacitated or ill without adequate means to move to a facility, you may have no choice but to live with your daughter.

Remember always, try not to be a FIFTH wheel in your family’s lives, your lifestyle differs from theirs. Give advice only when asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment