Friday, January 14, 2011

THE CARE CONVERSATION


                                        Most people incorrectly assume that their family knows everything about them. This is not true and in reality unless you have taken the time to have the “Care Conversation” with the members of your family, they will never know what you want, what your need and where to find the information they will require to provide you with the care you wish.

I believe in yearly meetings; I call them the “Care Conversation” with all adult members of your family  present in order to apprise them of your health, your wealth (within limits) and details of  your Powers of Attorney; your Will, your lawyer’s name, the location of all your personal documents - in other words – everything about you. It is important that in the event of your sudden demise, your family should have a clear understanding of what you possess. At these meetings, you should make known why you chose to do certain things in the manner set out in the will and why you appointed the trustees set forth in each document.
You may have imparted this information to your spouse or significant other but in a moment of stress they may not be the best people to seek answers from.

Even if you do all these things, I suggest to you, your family may fight over “stuff” or money, that “stuff” could be an heirloom a watch, whatever.
There are a number of questions you can ask yourself and your family:
Who knows the passwords for my e-mail, my credit cards, my bank accounts?
How do I see myself aging?
How long did my parents live?
Are there any chronic illnesses in my family?
Where do I plan to live in my aging years?
Is my home senior friendly or should I consider moving?
Who will there be to help and support me?
Who in my family can I count on?
Do they know what I want?
Do I know want they want?


No comments:

Post a Comment